VoiceXML is the open standard markup language for all kind of voice applications. Does it include IVR ? Yes, it does. VoiceXML is the modern and latest way of writing IVR Software, develop voice portals and much more!
“VoiceXML 1.0 was published by the VoiceXML Forum, a consortium of over 500 companies, in March 2000. The Forum then gave control of the standard to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), and now concentrates on conformance, education, and marketing. The W3C has just published VoiceXML 2.0 as a Candidate Recommendation. Products based on VoiceXML 2.0 are already widely available.” Source
How does one use voiceXML ?
VoiceXML is used the same way as HTML is used! So, voiceXML is the HTML of voice web! And even its architecture is same as that of HTML. And it is used for voice portal as in web portal!
1. It has a voice browser
2. It has a interpreter
3. And finally it has hardware implementation
Advantages of voiceXML
1. it is open source
2. It is telephony hardware independent
3. It can run along with web applications
4. Faster development of voice applications
5. There are now RAD ( Rapid Application Development) tools available for VoiceXML based IVR system development.
Disadvantages of voiceXML
1. Many sophisticated Telecom Protocol specific information like DNI etc information may not be available.
2. Many voice playback options are not available yet.
3. VoiceXML may not be suitable for large and complicated IVR system.
While I am still studying about voiceXML, I would update the post in future soon.
Related Posts :
Latest posts by Uttam Pegu (see all)
- How to start Cloud Telephony Service Company in India? : Part I - July 27, 2015
- Voice Automation System for Airlines - July 9, 2015
- Typical Analog IVR problem and how to solve it - July 6, 2015