“Voting by Missed Call” is getting popular in India. Previously, voting was majorly done by sending SMS to some SMS short-code, but now a days, it is almost getting replaced by “Missed Call”. The main reason for this is, normally user has to pay for sending SMS to any SMS shortcode Rs. 3/-. It is not easy to type and send text by many people. Also, SMS voting is limited to Mobile Phone users only while land-line telephone users are left out. Missed Call seems to include all, is free for the caller, and very quick and easy.
How does Missed Call Take place ?
In voting, there are some options and one has to choose any one of those options. So it is actually very easy to implement this. All the options could be assigned a dedicated phone number to which one may give a ‘missed call’. For example,
The question of the poll is “Who would win 2014 FIFA World Cup in 2014 to be held in Brazil ?”, options are a. Spain b. Brazil c. Argentina d. England e. Italy f. Germany.
Now in order to vote for a. Spain, one should give a missed call to 1800123451, to vote for b. Brazil, one has to give a missed call to 1800123452 and so on.
Every call would be logged against the option and it would be counted as a valid vote. The same number may be able to call other option to vote as per rule of the poll. An SMS can be sent to the caller confirming the voter.
How to implement a Missed Call System ?
It is very easy to implement a Missed Call System for voting. The most important part is to detect “Caller ID” of the caller phone. So, most probably, analog CTI board is not suitable for implementing a Missed Call System as Analog Boards may miss the caller ID some time. Also, Analog Boards are much slower ( connect/disconnect) compared to Digital E1/T1 CTI boards.
Since Missed Call Voting System does not require much to do except detecting caller ID and recording them and mapping them with poll options, so we may use a low cost CTI board. So, according to me, the most economic way to design and develop Missed Call Voting System would be to use the following hardware :-
1. Any E1 CTI Board without On-board processor like Sangoma, Digium etc. They tend to be less costly.
2. A PRI line with minimum 100 numbers from Telecom operators. Normally, in India, any telecom operators provide 100 numbers with any PRI line.
3. Normal PC.
4. Linux operating System ( free).
5. MySQL Database ( free )
For corresponding Windows System could be :-
1. Low cost board like Donjin DN300,
2. A PRI line with minimum 100 numbers from Telecom operators.
3. Normal PC.
4. MS Windows.
5. MS SQL Express ( Free)
While using Linux based system, one may use Asterisk or FreePBX while fro Windows System, one has many options for IVR toolkit like Velocity from GlorSoft or others like VBVoice from Pronexus, OsiDial from Osimatic etc.
Steps in Missed Call Voting System :
1. When any incoming calls comes, detect Caller ID as well as DNI ( Dialed Number Identification) then disconnect the call. Never answer the call.
2. Compare the poll option with DNI.
3. Store the Caller ID along with Poll Option as per #2 above into database.
4. Optional – Send out SMS confirming his/her vote to the caller ID detected.
So, if you want a Missed Call Voting System for your survey, feedback requirement, it is very easy to develop on your own On-Premise solution. For hosted solutions, one may contact NTS which provides such Missed Call Voting System at very competitive rates.